SCOTLAND

WHISKY FROM SCOTLAND

BlairMhor Scotch Malt Whisky logo

BlairMhor



Location :?
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : ?
Distillery : Inver House Distillers
Founded :?
Owner :Inver House Distillers
http://www.inverhouse.com
Towers Road Airdrie Lanarkshire ML6 8PL
UK
Phone +44 1236-769377
Fax +44 1236-769781
Producer : ?
Water :?
Remark :

BlairMhor :

Remarks and Review is under construction.

BlairMhor picture / drawing

Blair Athol Distillery

BLAIR ATHOL



Location :Blair Atholl (With a double 'l'), Pitlochry, Perthshire.
Now not at Blair Atholl, as its name suggests, the distillery is to be found on the southern approach road to Pitlochry, just off the main A9.
OS Sheet 43 ; Map reference NN 87 65 ; Latitude 3 50dg N, Longitude 56 45dg W
Region :Highland Central. (Midlands) - Tayside Region.
Country :Scotland
Type : Highland
Distillery : Blair Athol Distillery.
Pitlochry, Perthshire, PH16 5LY
TEL: 01796 472234 - FAX: 01796 473292
Easter-Sept, Mon-Sat: 0900.17.00. Sun: 12.00-17.00.
Oct-Easter, Mon-Fri: 09.00-17.00 (last tour at 16.00).
Dec-Feb, tours by appointment only.
Founded : Aprox. 1825 (Alexander Connacher & Co.) The still trace its origin to 1798.
Extended in the 1970's.
Owner :United Distillers plc.
Producer :?
Water :Kinnaird Burn and Ben Vrackie (Pitlochry) / Allt Dour (Burn of the Otter)
Remark :The distillery was founded in the late 1790's at Pitlochry and the owners have always insisted on using Orkney peat, preferred for its young character.
The resulting whisky has a dry, sharp nose, becoming sweeter and creamier with some cereal notes, light caramel and heathery overtones. The flavour is smooth and sweet, with a gingery finish and and mossy overtones.

Here's a rip from www.whiskyweb.com :
Although originally founded almost 30 years earlier, the present distillery was established in 1826, when revived by John Robertson. It passed into the hands of John Conacher & company in 1827. It closed in 1932 and, although purchased by Arthur Bell & Sons the following year, it did not come into production again until 1949 after rebuilding. Extended from two to four stills in 1973. Now part of United Distillers plc.

Another rip from the Scotch Doc.:
Blair Athol Distillery was originally founded about 1798. The present distillery, which is located near Pitlochry, off Highway A9, about eleven miles south of the town of Blair Atholl (spelled with two l's), was established in 1826. Closed shortly thereafter in 1832, with extensive reconstruction in the interim, it did not commence production again until 1949. It doubled its production capacity to four stills in 1973. The entire area around Pitlochry was once a thriving whisky production center of activity with over thirty distilleries in production at one time. The water quality of Allt Dour Burn has a great reputation for quality that was publically praised by none other than Alfred Barnard in 1887 in his book "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom." Blair Athol is an excellent stop for the tourist. It has an excellent Visitors Center with a very educational media program that is part of the educational tour provided visitors.

From the book 'The Scottish Collection' Classic Malts by Carol P. Shaw :
Tasting notes : A light, fresh malt with dry notes, ahint of smokiness and strong fruit overtones, leading into a very smooth finish. Taste rating = 2-3
This is a picturesquely on a wooded hillside on the outskirts of the pretty Perthshire tourist centre of Pitlochry. Blair Athol is unusual in that it is twelve miles distant from the village after which it is named. Established in 1825, the distillery was bought by Bell in 1933 and sympatheticaally upgraded, although it did not produce again for another 16 years. It is now owned by United Distillers. Its water comes from the Allt Dour (Burn of the Otter) which flows past the distillery en route to the River Tummel.

Black Bottle Scotch Whisky logo


BLACK BOTTLE



Location :Scotland
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : Blend
Distillery : http://www.blackbottle.com/
Gordon Graham and Co.
Westthorn,
1780 London Road
Glasgow
Gordon Graham & Co.
Founded :1879
Owner :Allied Distillers
Producer : ?
Water :?
Remark :From Collins Pocket referance : Whisky
Black Bottle was first produced by a family of merchants from Aberdeen in 1879, and has been a premium blend ever since it first appeared on the market. The company was sold to Long John International in 1959, later being acquired by Allied Distillers in 1990, before ultimately passing into the control of Matthew Gloag, the producers of The Famous Grouse blend. A big seller in the Scottish market, Black Bottle is linked to Laphroaig. Its distinctive pot-still shaped bottle, used almost since its first appearance, rapidly became tis trademark and has remained virtually unchanged to the present day.
Tasting comment : Black Bottle is a smooth, superior-quality blend with a fresh hint of peat, complemented by sweeter, malty notes.

Producer of a Ten Year Old Deluxe or Premium Blend.

Bladnoch lowland single malt scotch whisky logo

BLADNOCH



Location :2km Southwest of Wigtown. Dumfries and Galloway Region. - Situated on the river Bladnoch, just a mile outside Wigtown.
OS Sheet 83 ; Map reference NX 42 54 ; Latitude 4 27.3dg. N, Longitude 54 51.6dg. W
Region :Lowland - Borders
Country :Scotland
Type : Lowland South-West. (Borders)
Distillery : Bladnoch Distillery
http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/
Bladnoch Bladnoch Bridge / Wigtown Wigtownshire DG8 9AB,
Situated on the river Bladnoch, just a mile outside Wigtown. Phone : +44 01988-402235
Fax : +44 01988-402605
Founded :1817 by McClelland in Bladnoch. (1983 Arthur Bell & Sons / Inver House Distillers Ltd.)
It was mothballed in 1993.
The distillery recommenced production again under private ownership in December 2000.
Owner :Earlier owner United Distillers plc.
Private ownership in December 2000 by Raymond Armstrong
Producer :United Distillers plc.
Water :The River Bladnoch
Remark :Still closed 1940/45-1956
The still stands far from any other by a stone bridge across the Bladnoch River.

From www.whiskyweb.com :
Description: Founded in 1817 by John & Thomas McClelland. Sold by Dunvilles, the Irish whisky distillers, in 1936 for £3,500, this "representing a considerable loss for the premises and plant" Closed in 1938 and re-opened in 1956. Run by United Distillers plc who closed it in 1993.

Location: The southernmost distillery in Scotland. Situated on the river of the same name, just a mile outside Wigtown.
Water: The River Bladnoch.

Comments: Close to the distillery is Baldoon Farm, where stands the ruined castle to which Janet Dalrymple, the "Bride of Lammermoor" came to die after her marriage to David Dunbar of Baldoon.

From The Edingburg Malt Whisky Tour :
The most southerly of Scotland's distilleries, standing far from any other at Wigtown, by the river Bladnoch, on the Machars peninsula of Galloway. The distillery was founded in the early 1800s, closed in 1938, reopened in the 1950s and was taken over by Bells in 1983, not long before their acquisition by what is now United Distillers.
© Michael Jackson 1994
The distillery is mothballed, major shame, but the area is fascinating, right in the south west corner of Scotland and I thoroughly recommend a visit to the area, known as the South Makars, if you ever get to Scotland. If you are in that area, stay in the Corsemalzie Hotel near Port William, if funds permit, or any of the very good bed and breakfasts in Glenluce. Also visit the 2nd hand bookshop in Wigtown.

From the book 'The Scottish Collection' Classic Malts by Carol P. Shaw :
Tasting notes : Bladnoch is a light to medium bodied malt with a light, fragrant, lemony aroma and a gentle, unassertive flavour with fruity tones. Taste Rating = 3
Bladnoch was Scotland's most southerly distillery, in Wigtownshire, and was also one of its oldest. It was built in 1817 and stood on the banks of the River Bladnoch, in the village of the same name. It had many owners throubhout the course of the twentieth century, the latest being United Distillers. The distillery is now closed, Bladnoch's single malt is still relatively rare, only becoming available in official bottlings in UD's Distillery (Flora and Fauna) Malts series early in the 1990's.
I would be greatful if you would amend your page about Bladnoch to indicate that the distillery recommenced production again under private ownership in December 2000. Many thanks Raymond Armstrong (owner ) www.bladnoch.co.uk


From the Whisky pilot by Uniqum Systems :
Bladnoch, the most southerly of all Scottish distilleries, stand on the river of the same name and was founded in 1817 by John & Thomas McClelland. After having been closed for a time it opened again in the 1950s and was taken over by new owners in 1983. Sadly United Distillers announced its pending closure in 1993. (now under private ownership by Raymond Armstrong : awa.dk ) Close to the distillery is Baldoon Farm, where stands the ruined castle to which Janet Dalrymple, the "Bride of Lammermoor" came to die after her marriage to David Dunbar of Baldoon. The River Bladnoch supplies the distillery with its water.

* * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * *
Picture of The Bladnoch distilleryPicture 1 of The Bladnoch distilleryPicture 2 of The Bladnoch distilleryPicture 3 of The Bladnoch distilleryPicture 4 of The Bladnoch distilleryPicture 5 of The Bladnoch distillery
* * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * *

Black & White whisky bottle


BLACK & WHITE



Location :Scotland
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : Blend
Distillery : BLACK & WHITE
James Buchanan adn Co. Ltd.
Buchanan House, 3. Street James's Square, London SW1, UK
(Owner : United Distillers, Banbeath, Leven, Fife / Guinness Plc)
Founded :1884
Owner :United Distillers
Producer : James Buchanan
Water :?
Remark :From Collins Pocket Reference : Whisky
Black & White is the standard blend of the company begun in 1884 by James Buchanan as a whisky blenders and merchants in London. Within a year it was a success, with a contract to supply the House of commons, and the firm was one of the prime movers in the introduction of blended whiskies to the English market. The whisky was bottled and labelled in a very distinctive black and white livery, and this popular nickname eventually was adopted as the brand name. The company amalgamated with Dewar's in 1915, and both joined the Distillers Company ten years later. Black & White is currently available only outside the UK.
Tasting Comments : A clean, pleasant mild blend, Black & White has a fresh, grassy flavour, which is complemented by a light sweetness.

This brand was first known as House of Commons, but the customer simply asked for the black bottle with the white label. Therefore it was renamed Black and White.