|Location :||Ireland, Liffey|
|Region :||Southside of Liffey|
|Type :||Single-distillery Irish Whisky|
|Founded :||By Power's (Company founded in 1791)|
From the book 'The Scottish Collection' Classic Malts by Carol P. Shaw :
John's Lane Distillery was owned by the Power family, one of Dublin's two big distilling empires. The company was founded in 1791 by James Power, a local inn-keeper who, with his son, built the business rapidly, moving into their new distillery at John's Lane at the start of the new century. Their success was such that, from an initial output of a few thousand gallons a year, production grew to over 300,000 gallons by the 1830's. Not supprisingly the distillery itself was also rebuilt, eventually occupying a seven-acre site by the south side of the Liffey. But harsher times in the twentieth century brought contraction and, ultimately, merger into the Irish Distillers Group in 1966. The John's Lane site was abandoned and production moved to the IDG plant at Midleton in the 1970's.